Ilex seeks to maximise the value of Ebrington and to reinvest the development proceeds into the implementation of the Regeneration Plan, to provide long term economic benefits for the area.
Constructed as part of the first site extension in 1875, Cunningham was the first married quarters on site.
It is the only remaining building which addresses Limavady Road and overlooks Cunningham Square, the main pedestrian entrance from the Waterside.
Up until 1970 the main entrance to the site was at Cunningham and over time the building served as a mail office, a regulating office and a divisional office.
The building was named after former First Sea Lord, Admiral Sir John Cunningham (1885 – 1962) who visited the base in November 1946 and determined that it should become an anti submarine warfare training centre.
The base was subsequently re-named HMS Sea Eagle and Building 4 was named Cunningham in honour of Sir John’s prestigious naval career. This was a departure from naval tradition which usually confers such honours posthumously.
This building is now under development.