Ilex seeks to maximise the value of Ebrington and to reinvest the development proceeds into the implementation of the Regeneration Plan, to provide long term economic benefits for the area.
Early maps of Ebrington show a straw store on the site of Buildings 45 & 46. On 15 December 1887 the Londonderry Sentinel carried an article entitled “Extension of the Ebrington Barracks” reporting that “the straw store will be removed, replaced by a three-storeyed building of the regulation dimensions and construction, with massive stone walls, and stone corridors and staircases.
The object is to provide a reading and recreation room, library, manager’s quarters, shop and schoolroom, canteen steward’s quarters, and warrant officer’s quarters”. The building had to be operational by May 1888.