Ebrington: A 29 acre heritage asset on the Foyle riverfront

The site opened in 1841 as a military barracks and was gifted to the Executive Office under the Reinvestment and Reform Initiative (RRI) in 2001.

The Strategic Investment and Regeneration of Sites (NI) Order 2003 gives the Executive the necessary powers to regenerate the site.

The Ebrington Development Framework details the vision and plans for the regeneration of the site.


From 2003 The Executive Office has invested over £38m in Ebrington. 
Our aim is to bring buildings and lands back into use and provide essential infrastructure to help attract businesses and visitors to deliver economic and social benefits to the City and region.

A walk around Ebrington

Ebrington Map 30 40 45-46 49 57-59 62-63 67-69 79 80-81 104 102 115 117 118 4 10 11 17 70 71 83-85


Formerly the canteen, it is intended building 40 will be a licenced restaurant and bar.

45 / 46 / 49

Formerly the original hospital building and recreational buildings, we are working closely Derry and Strabane District Council to develop these buildings into a Maritime Museum.

57 / 59

Building 57/59 is occupied by café operator, The Stables Inn.


Building 62 has been developed into a ‘Changing Places’ facility by domiciliary care provider, Glen Caring.


An established retailer plans to develop building 102 into a convenience store.


Formerly an accommodation block, building 104 has been developed into a Business Innovation Hub managed by Enterprise North West.

115 / 116

Former boys and girls school house, these building will be developed into…

117 / 118

Former married quarters, these buildings and surrounding land are part of a development agreement Ebrington Holdings Ltd.

80 / 81

The former accommodation block, building 80/81 is a creative and digital hub for start-up businesses within the creative industry

83 / 85

Former Officers mess, ballroom and accommodation block, building 83/85 is part of a development agreement with Ebrington Holdings Ltd.


Formerly married quarters and office, The Cunningham Building is occupied by Kevin Watson Group (KWG)

10 / 10a

The original guard house


Former ‘barrack store’


Formerly the Barrack Masters House.


The original Officer’s Mess, building 71 has been developed into public sector offices.


One of two identical buildings, building 70 has remained and is occupied by craft brewery and restaurant, Walled City Brewery

63 / 67 / 68 / 69 / 79

Formerly the Officers quarter and soldier’s quarters, The Clock Tower buildings will be developed into a 4-star, 152 bed hotel and spa.


Formerly The Keep, an oval yard which a developer intends to develop into a café and bike hire business.

Visit Ebrington Visit Ebrington Visit Ebrington

Many new jobs have been created on site to date and with the potential inclusion of new purpose built Grade A accommodation and a new 4* hotel it is hoped this figure will grow considerably.

Key infrastructure works continue and the impressive new Limavady road site entrance opened in October 2019 helping to ‘open up’ the site for businesses and visitors.


Ebrington has been transformed in recent years to become a vibrant place to work and visit. The scheduled Monument Star Fort Wall, the Listed and Retained buildings, mixed with new build adds considerably to the attraction of Ebrington.

Together with the new public realm and vibrant new event space ‘Ebrington Square.’ Ebrington is a must see venue in the City.

Ebrington Development Brochure

Ebrington Development Brochure


Site History


Dating back to 1841, the Barracks were laid out in the shape of a Star Fort overlooking the City and the River Foyle.

During WWII Ebrington became the most westerly base for the repair and refueling of destroyers, corvettes and frigates and became the most important escort base in the north western approaches.

Ebrington was taken over by the Royal Navy in December 1940 for the duration of WWII and in 1945 more than 60 U-boats surrendered at Lisahally. Former service men and women still return to the City to visit Ebrington and the memorial at Lisahally.

Visit Ebrington Visit Ebrington Visit Ebrington

With the outbreak of the troubles, the base reverted to the Army in July 1970. At the height of the troubles 1,000+ soldiers were billeted at Ebrington.
In December 2003 Ebrington was gifted to the people as part of the peace process.

The construction of the Peace Bridge (2011) extended the City Centre to encompass Ebrington Square which is now the largest public space in the City.

Take a walk around Ebrington using the interactive map, stop at the new signage to find out a little more and then perhaps sample modern living in one of our on-site restaurants and cafes.

For more on the history of Ebrington download the PDF or visit the Department for Communities website below.


The History of Ebrington - Annsley Report


Department For Communities

Visit Website